Board Certified Plastic Surgeon - Matthew G. Stanwix, MD FACS
FTM Top Surgery Expert
Although an exciting time, gender affirming surgery time can be intimidating emotionally and physically. Transgender FTM surgery seems daunting at first with the web research, pictures, and experiences that you may encounter on the internet. Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, Dr. Matthew G. Stanwix of Stanwix Plastic Surgery, has the experience and dedication to help you through the gender reassignment process. His gentle natural and caring personality will put you at ease in your journey and has already put many smiles on those in the FTM community.
Dr. Matthew Stanwix performs the most advanced top surgery and gender affirming procedures, and trained in Plastic and Cosmetic Surgery at The Johns Hopkins Hospital for Plastic Surgery. Not only was he at the top of his fellowship class, but he spent substantial time over ten years ago at their various surgery centers learning how to perform top surgery. There, he learned the intricacies of advanced and minimally invasive transgender F to M surgery from some of the best. However, he has perfected this technique, adjusted it, and added V Shape liposuction to deliver outstanding results. He is excited to share his expertise and skill set to the FTM community in Virginia (Richmond VA, Charlottesville VA, Williamsburg VA, Norfolk VA, Virginia Beach VA) as well as out of state travelers from Maryland, West Virginia, Tennessee, North Carolina, and across the US and even international. As his reviews and reputation show, Dr. Stanwix is dedicated to providing you a wonderful surgical experience and the meticulous outcome you deserve.
- Top Surgery
- Periareolar with Areolar reduction
- Double Incision with nipple graft
- All Top Surgery includes VASER liposuction chest wall to define muscle (Pecs, lats, serratus) and deliver the masculine “V” shape
- Facial Fat grafting (jawline, chin, temples, etc)
- Tummy Tucks
- Masculinizing "V" VASER Liposuction & Fat Grafting
- Enhance Pecs, Arms (biceps, Triceps), Legs/Calves with natural fat
Dr. Matthew G. Stanwix of Stanwix Plastic Surgery performs three major forms of FTM top surgery with individualized variations. Dealing with the excess skin is key to a successful surgery and an outcome that you deserve. That is why Dr. Stanwix will perform minimally invasive techniques or hide your scar in natural lines or creases in all his FTM surgeries.
1. "Keyhole" FTM Top Surgery: During this surgery, Plastic Surgeon Dr. Matthew G. Stanwix of Richmond VA, removes the breast tissue through a small incision around part of the areola. By doing so, the entire surgery is hidden within a scar concealed in the areola. Dr. Stanwix has invented a way to decrease areola size from the inside about 25-33% if requested during a keyhole to fit the contour of your new chest. Also, Dr. Stanwix will perform some liposuction around the edges to fully contour the area into a smooth transition. After the healing process, there is virtually no scar because the incision is so well hidden!
Before After Keyhole
Keyhole (Patient of Dr. Stanwix)
2. "Peri" or "Periareolar" FTM Top Surgery: This type of top surgery is very similar to the keyhole approach. Dr. Stanwix hides the incision around the whole areola, making it a minimal scarring type of surgery. Furthermore, the "peri" also reduces the areola size at the same time and can remove some limited skin for those that are not a keyhole candidate. Liposuction around the pec muscle and chest will define your muscles and deliver a natural result that fits the rest of your body.
3. . "Double Incision" FTM Top Surgery: For those with more excess skin, the skin will need to be taken at the time of surgery, thus requiring an incision to remove it. Dr. Stanwix hides this incision along the edge of the pec to "mimic" the natural pectoralis muscle border. During the surgery, the nipple will need to be taken off and then grafted on as a skin graft with a smaller size to match the new contour of the chest. Liposuction is an important aspect of this surgery to transition the side of the chest into the new contour on the front. Dr. Stanwix can individualize this surgery to your needs. Maybe you want round areolas, smaller areolas, maybe you want a more built pec look, or completely flat. Over a few months the sensation and color of the nipple will come back, the will scars fade, and the swelling will dissipates making your results priceless. Importantly, VASER Liposuction is performed to define the V shape of the masculine chest and finalize the exceptional result.
Typical Postoperative DI Top Surgery at 4.5months with V Shape Liposuction
(notice great symmetry and non-connecting scars-Patient of Dr. Stanwix).
Postoperative DI Top Surgery at 2 years with V Shape Liposuction
(notice great symmetry and non-connecting scars-Patient of Dr. Stanwix).
Care around surgery
Dr. Stanwix meets with all his FTM patients in at least two consultations to go over the surgical details and the postoperative care. Here, Dr. Stanwix will let you know which medicines not to take before surgery (such as ibuprofen, aspirin, etc) and what to expect from surgery. After surgery care is important. Dr. Stanwix will place you in a compression vest and likely a surgical drain. He uses skin glue and advanced techniques such that you can shower the next day, and your drains only stay a handful of days. Depending on which type of FTM surgery you had, he will have you back into most activities within 2 weeks or so.
If you are interested in learning more about surgery with FTM expert Dr. Matthew G. Stanwix, then contact Dr. Stanwix for an appointment today. For our out of town guests, we have many accommodations to make your stay and surgical experience as pleasant as possible. Dr. Stanwix is looking forward to meeting you.
• FTM Top Surgery (around $7,750-$8,750)
o Keyhole, Double incision, Periareolar
o VASER V-Body liposuction- Liposuction of the chest wall/outer core body to define muscle (Pecs, lats, serratus) and deliver the masculine “V” shape
• VASER Liposuction Body (around $3,500 to $7,000)
o Masculinizing “V-Body” liposuction
o Liposuction anywhere on body, arms, legs, neck, face
• Tummy Tuck (around $7,750 to $8,500)
o Includes liposuction of waist
FTM Masculinizing V-Body Package (around $12,000-$14,000)
• FTM Top surgery with “V” Liposuction
• VASER Liposuction of waist, hips, abdomen and thighs
• Fat transfer to pecs
Pricing is ALL INCLUSIVE: Surgeons fee, facility fee, anesthesia fee, post-op garments and Recovery Kit, post-op appointments for one year-post surgical recovery kit, cosmetic protect (cosmetic insurance) & 24/7/365 concierge communication with Dr. Stanwix. Special Pricing includes all concierge assistance with out of town transportation and accommodations.
Consultations: Contact Dr. Matthew G. Stanwix to arrange your consultation.
Payment: Credit cards, Cashier checks, cash, and CareCredit.
Insurance: Dr. Stanwix does NOT participate insurance companies.
Informed consent: Dr. Stanwix follows WPATH (World Professional Association for Transgender Health) standards of care and criteria for FTM Top Surgery. This includes a requirement for a supporting letter from a mental health professional prior to surgery. Hormones are not a requirement.